Beetroot poriyal is a very healthy side-dish that can be served to accompany rice or can also be used as rice mix for preparing a simple beetroot rice. This is purely my Mom's preparation, I had been sick for a while and the moment I said her about my sickness she just packed her things and hurried to my place to take care of me, am sure that nothing can beat Mom's love. So it is her cooking that we are enjoying for a while now. Because of my bad immune power I was unable to cook and keep my blog updated, so please do bear with my irregular posting. This beetroot poriyal is my Mom's special and it smells and tastes so good and feels like she has used some special spice powder or masala, but the only spice she has used here is the cumin seeds. These cumin seeds are enough to make this dish flavorful and aromatic, moreover I love the simplicity of this recipe. Try it and you will agree with me too. This beetroot poriyal makes a great side-dish for curd rice, rasam rice and any gravy and rice. If you have made this in excess and have some leftover, mix it with cooked rice to get tasty beetroot rice. Mom made this for me specially to strengthen my immune power, and it has various health benefits she says. So now lets see how to make this healthy and delicious side-dish.
Check out my Beetroot Coconut Masala / Beetroot Pirattal Recipe here!!
And for Beetroot omelette click here!!
INGREDIENTSServes 3 to 4 people
Total Preparation Time - 10 to 15 minutes
- Beetroot - 2
- Big onion - 1 (chopped)
- Grated coconut - 3 spoons (optional)
- Green chillies - 1 (Slit into two)
- Cumin seeds - 1 spoon
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 spoon
- Skinned black gram / Ulutham Paruppu / Urad dal - 1/4 spoon
- Oil - 3 spoons
- Wash and peel the outer skin of beetroots. Then grate the peeled beetroots and set aside.
- Place a pan on flame and add oil, after it heats up add the mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Then add skinned black gram, cumin seeds and saute for a few seconds.
- Now add the chopped onions, slit green chillies and saute well on low flame until it becomes translucent.
- Then add the grated beetroot and stir fry it well for a minute.
- Now pour water until the beetroot gets well immersed in water.
- Now cook well until the water content reduces and beetroot gets cooked well.
- Then add grated coconut and mix well.
- Remove from flame and serve!!
TIP 1: You can substitute skinnted black gram with bengal gram dal / kadalai paruppu (chana dal).
TIP 2: You can also chop beetroot into smaller pieces instead of grating it. But make sure to cook it well by pouring enough amount of water.
TIP 3: Carrot poriyal can also be done the same way.
Healthy and delicious beetroot poriyal is now ready!! Serve as sides with rice!!