My last post was a tasty and easy prawn biryani recipe using pressure cooker, if in case you have missed it check it here, today its another interesting and delicious recipe featuring prawns again. There are many versions of prawn fries and I love to try various variations, here is one version that serves as a crispy and tasty starter that can be accompanied with a hot bowl of soup. This recipe is prepared with toothpicks on the prawns that makes the starter easy to prepare and munch on, also looks delectable. The flavors that I have added here makes the fry really special and Indian. Chat masala and dry mango powder is the special masala powder that gives the Indian flavors and makes it so delicious. The most notable thing about this fry is that the outer layer remains intact with the prawns and does not get off from the prawns after frying. Also using the tooth pick makes it more interesting and eases work. Just hold on the toothpick dip in batter and fry them, this will help reduce mes and after frying just munch the prawns and discard the toothpicks. Sounds easy and fun right? Try this and serve these crispy fries as starters. Am sure you will love each flavorful and succulent bite.
INGREDIENTSServes 1 to 2
Total Preparation Time - 10 minutes
- Prawns - 200 grams
- Maida / All purpose flour - 2 spoons
- Corn flour - 2 spoons
- Rice flour - 1/2 spoon
- Red chilli powder - 1 spoon
- Chat masala - 1/2 spoon
- Dry mango powder / Amchoor powder - 1/4 spoon
- Pepper powder - 1/2 spoon
- Lemon juice - 1 spoon (For washing the prawns)
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - For deep frying
Extras that you will need
- Toothpicks (optional)
- Tissue paper
- Shell and de-vein prawns and wash well in water. Apply some lemon juice and salt and set aside for a few minutes and wash it well again.
- Take a bowl and all the above said ingredients, except prawns and lemon juice and add some water and make a batter out of it. The batter should not be too runny nor too thick.
- Take the prawn pieces and pat dry them using a kitchen towel or tissue paper. (If the prawns are wet the batter wont stick to the prawns well)
- Insert tooth picks into the prawns through one end and set aside. Do this with the rest of the prawns.
- Place a pan on flame and pour oil into it. Let it heat up well on low flame.
- Now dip them in the prepared batter by holding the stick and drop off the excess batter by holding it for a while. (If you don't remove excess batter the layer will come off from the prawns while frying)
- Then gently drop them into the pre-heated oil. (See that the flame is on medium mode and also take care that the oil is not smoking hot, if so the outer layer will burn and the prawns will not get cooked)
- Gently turn sides and fry on medium flame for just 3 minutes or until the batter turns brownish and crispy.
- Remove from flame and place on a tissue paper to absorb excess oil.
TIP 1: The prawn fry remains crispy for a while and then turns soggy, so serve immediately after frying.
TIP 2: Adding chat masala and dry mango powder gives a nice flavor and Indian touch to the prawn fry so add them if you wish, but if you do not prefer to add them then you can skip them.
TIP 3: With the remaining batter you can make paneer fry also following the same procedure. Will taste so yum.
TIP 4: Do not keep frying the prawns on low flame for more than 3 minutes it will lose its succulent texture and become rubbery.
TIP 5: The toothpick in this recipe helps you to dip the prawns in the batter easily by helpng you hold the prawns better and lets the coating spread well and uniformly. Also after frying helps to pick the prawns and munch on easily.
Bhavna and Asiya Akka have awarded me the Sunshine award
Thanks Bhavna and Asiya akka!! Am so glad to get these lovely awards from lovely people like you :)
Am gonna pass this award to all my blogging friends out there!! Thanks for being a great support, please accept it as a token of my love for you all!!
Drooling Divs.... Congrats on ur award dear:)ReplyDelete
wow this looks superb sis :) you are always brilliant... i love the last click superb. Congrats on your awardReplyDelete
Nice recipe... looks mouthwatering, liked the presentation, nice clicks :)ReplyDelete
really wonderful clicks.and the prawns so yummy.ReplyDelete
They look fingerlickingly delicious!ReplyDelete
Yumm Lovely Prwans.Recipe is also nice ... quick and easy. Thanks for sharing...ReplyDelete
Excellent pictures Divy n Congrats for your awards...ReplyDelete
Baby Corn Bajji
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
amazing divs..the tooth picks wont be fried na?ReplyDelete
LOvely fries...Amazing clicks as usual...Congrats dear...ReplyDelete
Love it dear,think prawn is ur favouriteReplyDelete
Nice clicks n smart idea ! :)ReplyDelete
very nice party snack and perfect for the cold weather....luv the clicks...ReplyDelete
SYF&HWS - Cook With SPICES" Series
South Indian Cooking - July 15th to Sep 15th
Wow! looks yumm.ReplyDelete
Thanks for posting the Award and the answers are quite interesting..
congratulations on the award, great quick way to eat prawns!ReplyDelete
CONGRATS FOR YOUR AWARDS. TEMPTING FRYReplyDelete
This post cannot be better timed. It;s drizzling here in Delhi today and it and almost perfect snack for the evening with tea.only if you could see me drooling!ReplyDelete
Perfect party starter.. Nice clicksReplyDelete
pictures are very beautiful.n dish looks simply superb...I know this tastes awesum...ReplyDelete
BTW If gets sumtime plz visit my space n check out my new FB page dear..Thankx in advance.....
looks awesome n yummy..ReplyDelete
Super duper clicks Divya n love ur prawn fry...ReplyDelete
Today's Special - No Bake Chocolate Cheese Cake
Yummy recipe with fingerlicking.ReplyDelete
Very tempting pics,Divya..love these crisp fried cutees:)ReplyDelete
Join EP event-Garlic OR Turmeric @ Spice n Flavors
Perfect appetizer,makes me drool,great pics dear..ReplyDelete
prawn fry .....yummy yumReplyDelete
Sounds delicious and crisp, a great party snack. Congrats on your award dear.ReplyDelete
Congrats for ur award dear....Prawns look yummy.. mouthwatering..:)ReplyDelete
If i have small sized prawns, i do fries this way only,this method is quite popular in Pondicherry.ReplyDelete
wow!!this is a yummy snack..ReplyDelete
Congrats on your award!!
Event :Cook like a Celebrity Chef
This looks great Divya! Amazing clicks dear!ReplyDelete
really tempting ......wish i could get one:)ReplyDelete
This is really tempting....I'm really very happy to follow you...do visit my space too when time permits..I'll be glad if you follow me too..ReplyDelete