Ghee rice is simple, mildly flavored, very aromatic and filling rice recipe that is so easy to make. I love the simplicity of the recipes where I can use a pressure cooker, it reduces the cooking time and also reduces the complications and mess that no one would like during busy hours. This one such recipe that is very easy to make and makes a very good lunch box recipe and a good one pot meal. It just needs a simple raita as sides and if interested accompany with some spicy sides. I love it with mutton masala and onion raita. I make it a bit grainy as I like it that way but you can make it the way you wish. This is another recipe that you can smell in our kitchen very often as this is one of my favorites and also the most handy recipe that doesn't include chopping of any veggies. So it perfectly fits our lazy mood perfectly. There are times when we feel lazy to cook but still our taste buds demands us for the best treat. This recipe is a rescue to that kinda day. Do check out the recipe, try it and let me know your feedback!!
INGREDIENTSServes 5 to 8 people
Total Preparation Time - 15 to 20 minutes
- Seeraga Samba Rice - 4 cups (nearly 600 grams) [You can use Basmati rice too; check Tip 1 at the bottom of the post)
- Big onions - 2
- Ginger - 4 inch long piece
- Garlic - 5 pods
- Green chillies - 2
- Cashews - 10 to 20
- Raisins - Few (optional)
- Cinnamon stick / Pattai - 5 to 6 sticks 2 inch long
- Cardamom pods - 8 (crushed)
- Cloves - 6
- Star anise - 2
- Cumin seeds - 1 spoon
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 spoon (Optional)
- Salt - As per taste
- Ghee - 200 ml
- Wash rice well in water atleast two times. Then soak the washed rice in water for 5 to 7 minutes. Soaking is not really necessary but soaking makes the rice more soft and gets cooked soon. (In case you need grainy rice this step will be more useful. The rice will get really coked well but will remain grainy)
- Meanwhile slice onions finely and set aside. Peel skin from ginger and garlic pods then chop into smaller pieces. Now make a fine paste with the following ingredients;
1. Green chillies - 2
2. Ginger - 4 inch long piece (chopped)
3. Garlic - 5 pods
(You can also add 5 spoons of chopped mint and coriander leaves; it gives an extra flavor and aroma)
- Take a cooker and add ghee and after it heats up add cumin seeds and fennel seeds and let it splutter.
- Then add all the spices; star anise, cinnamon stick, cloves, crushed cardamom pods, and saute for a few seconds, be careful not to burn them.
- Now add the cashews and saute until it turns slightly brownish, now add the raisins and wait until it puffs up. (You can do this separately and garnish the cooked rice with it, just before serving)
- Then add the sliced onions, salt and saute well until it turns slightly brownish. This gives a nice flavor to the recipe.
- Now add the ginger, chilly paste and saute well until the raw smell leaves.
- Now drain the water from the soaked rice and add the rice (only rice, discard water) to the cooker, then saute well for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Now 8 cups of water and close the lid (for 1 cup of rice add 2 cups of water and stir well. (if you want grainy rice add 7 cups of water instead of 8 cups of water, that will do).
- Then check for salt and add if necessary.
- Close the cooker with its lid and switch the flame to high mode. Then when the pressure/steam oozes out of the nozzle, place the regulator or weight on the nozzle and switch the flame to low mode.
- Cook for perfectly 10 minutes and switch off the flame. Do not open until the pressure drops. Once the pressure drops open the lid and serve!!
TIP 1: You can use Basmati rice instead of seeraga samba rice, but seeraga samba tastes best and suits this recipe more. If you want to prepare the same with basmati rice, use just 1 cup of water with
TIP 2: You can add some coriander leaves and mint leaves while making the paste, this will give a nice flavor to the recipe. You can avoid cumin seeds and make the recipe too.
TIP 3: Making the rice grainy or little over-cooked depends on your taste. I like it grainy so I have added just 7 cups of water and it was perfectly grainy and equally cooked.
TIP 4: Adding cashews whole or chopped is according to your wish but adding whole makes the look good. If your kids don't like feeling cashews while eating then you can grind it along with ginger and add it to the recipe. Will taste richer too.
Delicious and aromatic Ghee rice is now ready!! Serve with some spicy curry and onion raita!! I served it with mutton masala, it goes really good with ghee rice!!