Looking for a low fat, no sugar but, sweet and tasty breakfast? then this oats porridge is the best option for you. Who doesn't love a tasty and filling breakfast low in calories and high in dietary fibers, moreover it is diabetic friendly as I have used palm jaggery. This is a perfect tasting porridge that can be had for either breakfast or dinner. Just a bowl full of this tasty porridge will help you feel full and also improves your health. Palm jaggery is a very good substitute for sugar. Sugar increases the risk of diabetes, hypertension and heart diseases, also it brings about weight gain, moreover sugar does not even have much nutrition in it. Whereas palm jaggery has a lot of nutrition in it and is packed with a lot of proteins, vitamins and minerals like iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium etc. It also has the ability to cure indigestion and other digestion problems like constipation. Palm jaggery or karupatti can also improve the blood circulation and purifies blood, it also strengthens nerves, so isn't replacing sugar with palm jaggery a super benefit? and adding it to oats gives you a dual benefit. So try this for your breakfast and start your day with a healthy kick. We loved the flavor, taste and it was such a delightful and appetizing breakfast for us, am sure you will love it too!!
INGREDIENTSServes 2 people
Total Preparation Time - 5 to 7 minutes
- Oats - 1 cup
- Boiled milk - 1 cup
- Palm Jaggery / Karupatti (Grated/Crushed) - 5 spoons
- Almonds (or) Walnuts - Few (chopped)
- Raisins / Dry grapes - Few (optional)
- Place a sauce pan on flame and pour 2 cups of water, then when it boils add oats and stir well so that no lumps are formed. Wait until the mixture thickens and oats gets cooked well then remove from flame and set aside.
- Now take another sauce pan or pan and add grated or crushed palm jaggery and pour water until it gets immersed in water (do not pour too much of water). Then place on flame and stir well until the palm jaggery dissolves, see that the flame is on low mode.
- When the palm jaggery dissolves well remove from flame and strain using a strainer to remove impurities. Set aside.
- Now take a bowl and pour a ladle full of cooked oats, then pour some milk and mix well. Then add the palm jaggery syrup and stir well. You can add more syrup if you want it to be more sweet, or you can pour a little to make it less sweet.
- Serve warm or chilled. Optionally you can top with some chopped walnuts or almonds and some raisins just before serving.
TIP 1: Do not over heat the palm jaggery syrup, if heated so it will crystallize and harden. Just some runny syrup will do, no syrup consistencies are required, but see that it is in a syrup form or atleast runny.
TIP 2: You can add skimmed milk / soya milk if you are diet conscious.
TIP 3: See that the oats mixture is not too watery. If so just place on flame for a few more minutes until it thickens into a porridge consistency, else when we add milk and palm jaggery syrup it will become even more watery.