When planning of side-dishes for any curry, I always prefer using French beans, as it it easier to cook, does not need much time and it always tastes good as side-dish with rice. I either make this simple poriyal, Carrot beans poriyal or Beans chilli coconut fry, the latter one is the most common side-dish I make more often at home to accompany sambars and rice. Poriyal is the Tamil word for stir-fry (side-dish) prepared with vegetables to accompany rice. This humble vegetable can render us numerous health benefits when consumed, but the best I can point out here is, it is so rich in fiber that it is good for diabetics and for people on diet control. These beans are rich in Vitamins and Iron and can benefit you in many many ways. When purchasing beans pick out the soft and younger ones, as these taste best. Now lets see how to make this simple yet delicately flavored beans poriyal.
INGREDIENTSMakes sides for 2 to 3 people
Total Preparation Time - 10 minutes
- Beans / French Beans - 250 grams
- Pearl onions / Shallots - 10 (peeled and chopped)
- Grated coconut / Shredded coconut - 5 spoons
- Cumin seeds - 1 spoon
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 2 spoons
- Wash beans well in water. Snap/chop the edges of the beans and slowly pull the cap along the opposite side to remove the strings. Do this on both the sides for all the beans and ensure that there are no strings.
- Then chop the beans into smaller pieces and set aside. (remove strings even as you chop)
- Now heat a pan and pour oil into it. After it heats up add mustard seeds and wait until it splutters.
- Once done add the cumin seeds, and saute for a few seconds, then add the chopped onions and saute until it turns translucent.
- Now add the chopped beans and saute on low flame for few minutes.
- Now add salt and stir well. Cook on low flame stirring occasionally and sprinkle water if necessary. Close the pan with a lid and cook for 3 minutes on low flame.
- Now open the lid and saute well until the beans seem cooked. Then add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Remove from flame and serve.
TIP 1: Do not overcook the beans, it should be crisp. If cooked for a long time it will become too soft and wont taste good.
TIP 2: You can add a spoon of sugar while making the poriyal it gives a nice flavor. Also adding some soaked split yellow moong dal to the dish will make it more interesting. You can refer this carrot beans poriyal for more details of when to add dal.
TIP 3: If you feel like the taste is bit bland you can add some red chilli powder to make it little spicier and flavored. But cumin seeds and grated coconut itself gives enough flavors and aroma to the dish.
Simple and elegantly flavored French beans poriyal is now ready!! Serve with rice along with rasam or any curry!! Best as sides with spicy curries and sambar!!
Simple yet delicious stir fryReplyDelete
a healthy yummy stir-fry...ReplyDelete
it looks delicious.. i prepare this often but i used to grind coconut, cumin and shallots. next time ll try this way:)ReplyDelete
simple and healthy poriyal.ReplyDelete
like your background divya.. perfect kootu with sambar..ReplyDelete
Yummy.. Healthy and delicious poriyal Divya :-)ReplyDelete
Yummy fry ...nice pair with puli kulambu...ReplyDelete
Delicious beans poriyal. Very well goes with rice or roti both..yummy!ReplyDelete
I like ur back board and the colour tone in the pic, I would love to have this poriyal with sambar rice any day any time of the year round..:)ReplyDelete
My all time favourite poriyal, sometimes i do add few shrimps in this poriyal,so that my kids will have without any hesitation, wonderful background sis.ReplyDelete
Simple and delicious stir fry.. One of my favorite..ReplyDelete
Looks delicious and beautifully presented too.ReplyDelete
Wow ! Looks soooooooo inviting !ReplyDelete
looks delicious and healthy fry...ReplyDelete
Delicious and yummy spread out.ReplyDelete
Healthy stir fryReplyDelete
Divya ,Poriyal looks so good i think it egg curry beside it .I am ready for lunch ahhhaaa....ReplyDelete
Delicious and healthy beans fry, I just love it. Your clicks are just wonderful...ReplyDelete
Delicious beans poriyal looks perfect meal.ReplyDelete
Delicious and yummy poriyal.. Gorgeous Clicks..I Love to have this poriyal now with Sambar.. Parcel please..ReplyDelete
a very healthy stir fry. Beautiful clicksReplyDelete
Delicious poriyal n gr8 clicks dear...ReplyDelete
My all time fav .Looks awesome .ReplyDelete
Simple and healthy one...nice cliksReplyDelete
simple and healthy poriyal.ReplyDelete
This is my favourite dish too.. Very nice click..ReplyDelete
Nice clcks....sir fry without green chillies and curry leaves r new to me...we used to add these in Kerala beans thoran....urs looks good...ReplyDelete