How about a flavored simple to make fish curry for dinner or lunch? Recently I have been posting a lot of Fish-y recipes and here is another treat for sea-food lovers. This pepper cumin fish curry or masala has lots of flavors in it but uses very few handy ingredients found in any kitchen pantry. This is a no coconut fish curry that uses very few ingredients but the end taste is just awesome. Pepper and cumin gives an punch to the curry and makes it an excellent side-dish for any kind of rotis, dosa, idly or rice. The masala has some peppery saucy curry with chunky fish pieces in it and will make a good combo with crispy dosas. I made this curry using big red snapper, the fish pieces were chunky and fitted this curry very well, for another drool-worthy recipe made using this big red snapper click here. You can make it spicy by adding some extra freshly crushed peppercorns along with the pepper powder. This has become one of my favorite curry/masala, try this and am sure it will be your favorite too!
INGREDIENTSServes 2 people
Total Preparation Time - 30 minutes
For printable recipe card click here!!
- Fish - 200 grams (chunky/fleshy fish pieces cut into cubes; I used big red snapper)
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Garlic pods - 2 (Peeled & Sliced)
- Pepper powder - 1 spoonful
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp + 1 spoon
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 spoon (crushed)
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 5 spoons
- Wash fish pieces well in water and apply 1 spoon of turmeric powder, salt and set aside for 10 minutes and wash again.
- Chop onions and tomatoes and set aside.
- Then heat a kadai and pour oil into it. Now add the chopped onion and saute well on low flame until it gets cooked well and seems translucent.
- Then add the tomato pieces and saute. Add some salt, turmeric powder and saute until the oil separates from the masala and the tomato seems cooked.
- Now add the garlic slices, pepper powder and saute for a minute. Pour 1/4 cup of water and stir well.
- Then add the washed fish pieces and stir well until it gets mixed well with masala.
- Add the crushed cumin seeds and stir.
- Pour another 1/2 cup of water and cook on low flame until the fish gets cooked. The big red snapper took a longer time to get cooked and so I had to cook it for 10 minutes on low flame. If you are using other fish types cook only for a few minutes.
- After fish gets cooked remove from flame and serve.
TIP 1: I have not tried this with any other fish pieces, but you can give it a try with chunky pieces or fish fillets. Big red snapper takes some time to get cooked but other fish pieces get cooked in few minutes so cook accordingly. Use boneless fish pieces as far as possible.
TIP 2: You can add more pepper if you wish. Crushed cumin seeds give a very nice flavor, you can use cumin powder also.
TIP 3: You can temper the curry with some curry leaves also.
TIP 4: Use freshly ground black pepper for better flavor, alter the spiciness according to your taste.
For the printable recipe card click here!!
Delicious and super flavored pepper Cumin Fish curry is now ready!! Serve with rice, rotis, chapatis, dosa and idlis..
This looks so delicious!! :)ReplyDelete
Curry looks very tempting....ReplyDelete
super,delicious and mouthwatering fish gravy...ReplyDelete
wow I need to try that!ReplyDelete
using garlic without ginger for fish is totally new to me. this looks great and as always great clicksReplyDelete
Lovely and inviting pictures.. Truly delicious !!ReplyDelete
Nice clicks Divy...ReplyDelete
Yummy fish curry. New to me will tryReplyDelete
like the touch of pepper :) nice composition..ReplyDelete
Simply mouthwatering and delicious looking fish masala.ReplyDelete
Feel like grabbing right away!ReplyDelete
Love pepper flavor in fish,delicious curryReplyDelete
Slurp, wat a delicious masala, love with rice and papads, will definitely satisfy my tastebuds.ReplyDelete
never tried this curry,yours looks so healthy and tasty.ReplyDelete
rocking divy dear..keep going ..curry looks spicy u shud have enjoyedReplyDelete
Pepper fish.. sounds interesting and spicy!ReplyDelete
Wow...That's extremely tempting and delicious..Thick and colorful !ReplyDelete
Wow! flavoured fish curry, looks delicious.ReplyDelete
Fish and Pepper, it is like a perfect combination something like Rasam and Pepper, goes hand-in-hand.ReplyDelete
I especially liked the pepper powder standing over the gravy and fish in the snap. Looks drool worthy and perfect as always.
Hot n spicy fish masala, it looks like chicken curry, very tempting :) inviting pics n presentation!ReplyDelete
I love fish... So tempting and mouthwatering fish masala Divya.. :-)ReplyDelete
fish made with pepper masala is awesome..no way to express the feeling.yummo...ReplyDelete
Looks Delicious Divy.....ReplyDelete
Simple and delicious with yummy masala.ReplyDelete
This looks great, excellent flavors in the curry.ReplyDelete