Am not a big fan of Tofu, but I do pick up tofu while grocery shopping thinking of trying something new, coz I know that these are way healthier. I use them in soups and in preparation of appetizers but whatever you do to tofu it always remain bland, bland and still blander. One fine day I planned to coat tofu in a flavorful coating and then use it in preparations. I knew that an extra layer might help the tofu pieces catch up some flavor on to it. I tried and I succeeded too!! I coated the tofu pieces in a flavorful masala and deep fried them, then used it in the preparation. This masala tasted almost like paneer butter masala, though the fact is I that I haven't used butter anywhere. The recipe tasted rich enough, but still, if in case you want butter flavored masala you can replace oil with butter here. Try this recipe next time when you purchase tofu, you will definitely love it. Goes well with naan, phulkas, chapatis, pulaos and even dosas. I accompanied this Tofu masala with peas carrot pulao (for recipe click here) and it was a lip-smacking combo. This recipe has been lying in my drafts for long, I was not satisfied with my clicks and did not want to post it, but this is definitely a hit recipe to be shared, so I gained some the guts to post it off. The masala tasted too good, with bursting flavors and this way I loved tofu, and so will you. Do try this and share your reviews and feed back.
Makes masala for 2 people
Total Preparation Time - 20 minutes
- Tofu - 100 grams
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 2
- Green chillies - 2 (chopped)
- Chopped ginger - 1/4 spoon
- Chopped garlic - 1/2 spoon
- Red chilli powder - 1 spoon (add another half spoon if you want it spicy)
- Butter - 2 spoons (or) Oil - 4 spoons
- Kasoori Methi / Dried fenugreek leaves - 2 pinches
- Garam masala - 2 pinches
- Bay leaf - 1
- Shahjeera - 1/2 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Sugar - 1 tsp
For Tofu Fry
- Maida - 3 spoonfuls
- Corn flour - 3 spoonfuls
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 spoon
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Fennel powder - 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda - 2 pinches
- Salt - As required
- Oil - For deep frying
To prepare tofu fry
- Wash tofu well in water, then soak tofu in salted warm water for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze water from tofu and wash again. Chop into cubes, set aside.
- Take a bowl add the ingredients mentioned below "for tofu fry" and mix well, add some water and mix well to make a thick batter. It not be very runny nor too thick.
- Heat a frying pan and pour enough oil into it to deep fry tofu, after it heats up, dip and coat all sides of the cubed tofu pieces with the prepared batter and deep fry them on high flame until golden brown. Do not fry for long else tofu will turn rubbery.
- Remove from flame and place on a tissue paper to blot out excess oil. Do the same with the rest of tofu pieces and set aside.
Preparation of tofu masala
- Peel and chop onion set aside.
- Wash tomatoes chop into smaller pieces and grind into a fine paste set aside.
- Heat a pan add butter/oil and saute bay leaf, shajeera. Then add chopped green chillies, chopped garlic, chopped ginger and chopped onions, saute well until onions turn translucent.
- Then add tomato paste, little salt and saute well until the raw smell leaves.
- Now add the red chilli powder and stir well, sprinkle some water if needed and cook until the raw smell goes off. Check for salt and add if needed.
- Then add the fried tofu pieces and stir well until the masala blends well with the fried tofu pieces.
- Crush some kasoori methi with your fingers and sprinkle on the masala. Stir well and remove from flame.
- Serve hot with naan or rotis or pulao!!
TIP : You can add more flavor to the curry by adding coconut and cashew paste, it gives you some gravy too.
Flavorful and tasty tofu masala is now ready!! Goes well with all roti types, pulao and even with crispy Dosas!!
u r right about Tofu,its so bland but this one looks soo delicious , I am going to book mark this one ..ReplyDelete
Yay, a vegetarian recipe! That's perfect for me, I try to eat more veggies and fruit this Spring but I like my food tasty and preferably spicy. So your recipe is awesome!ReplyDelete
Hugs and kisses, thangai.
this is tempting me now drooooling pics dearReplyDelete
Yummy, delicious tofu masala. The color looks fabulous. Thank you for sharing...ReplyDelete
Delicious and flavorful tofu masala..ReplyDelete
mouthwatering masala,looks delicious!!!ReplyDelete
perfect appetizer fo tofu lover like me. yummy masala dish.ReplyDelete
This tofu masala is just irresistible sis, a killer dish definitely,whoever hate tofu will definitely love it after seeing your post.ReplyDelete
Wow yummy and innovative. Always you rock.ReplyDelete
Nice variation with tofu. Healthy and looks yumReplyDelete
Super tempting masala !ReplyDelete
Masala looks so yum... would be great with naansReplyDelete
nice recipe,perfect for naan chaappathiReplyDelete
Haven't tried or tasted tofu, should try, healthy and looks delicious too. I always thought tofu might be too smooth with vzhuk vazhuk texture ;) But as I see urs, I think I am wrong! :)ReplyDelete
Tempting tofu masalaReplyDelete
Tofu masala looks scrumptious...ReplyDelete
very tempting clicks Divy... lovely oneReplyDelete
mouthwatering masala... superReplyDelete
very inviting click dear...looks so delicious...ReplyDelete
Amazing recipe Divy dear. Finger licking good.ReplyDelete
wow tasty masala,pics are too tempting me...ReplyDelete
Looks absolutely delicious and a drool-worthy recipe.ReplyDelete
I'm sure it would be a killer favorite among the guests and kids.
Not just the recipe, the snaps look perfect too.
Anytime Tofu is a great alternative to paneer :)
Looks so healthy and delicious!! :)ReplyDelete
Wonderful clicks and mouthwatering dish..ReplyDelete
Looks amazing ! Healthy one too...ReplyDelete
very tempting n lip smacking tofu...ReplyDelete
I love tofu in Indian style better than in soups. They are just great.ReplyDelete
Me too often buy Tofu to try new recipes but mostly end up with curry or stir fry :) Your Tofu Masala looks super Yumm!! Really nice variation...inviting pics there..love it!ReplyDelete
I love tofu and masala. This would be perfect to go with some bread or rice for the lunch.ReplyDelete
Wow! delicious,my favourite..ReplyDelete