When you are not in a mood to cook a great platter with variety of dishes, a one pot meal would definitely be the best idea for a fulfilling and satisfying meal. Specially "Pulaos" make a great one pot meal or a lunch box recipe; it is not time consuming, does not need any special sides to accompany it, sometimes even some raitas will be enough to accompany it and the best part is, it is much easier to prepare too. Overall a Pulao is a fuss free recipe I will say. I love making different types of pulao with different vegetables as it is a delicious way to devour the veggies. You can check some of my pulao recipes here. Here in this pulao, I have added delectable vegetables like the baby corn, carrot and peas, which makes the pulao colorful, appetizing to look and obviously tasty too. I picked up and used carrots which were slender and similar in size to that of baby corns, so that the slices will look similar, this is just to add more delectable-ness to the pulao. I served it with a spicy egg curry and some onion raita and it made a complete tasty platter.
INGREDIENTSServes 3 to 4 people
Total Preparation Time - 45 minutes
- Basmati rice - 1 big cup (weighed nearly 180 grams)
- Baby corn - 5
- Big onion - 1 (Sliced)
- Carrot - 2 (long slender ones)
- Peas - 2 handfuls
- Green chillies - 1 (slit into two)
- Coriander leaves - A handful (chopped)
- Mint leaves - A handful (chopped)
- Garlic pods - 1 (chopped finely)
- Ginger - 1 small piece (grated)
- Pepper powder - 1/4 tablespoon
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tablespoon
- Lemon juice - 2 spoons
- Salt - As per taste
- Ghee - 2 spoons
- Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 15 to 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Peel baby corn, wash and scrape carrots, then slice baby corn and carrots as shown in pic.
- Place a pan on flame and add ghee, when it starts to melt add cumin seeds, chopped garlic, grated ginger and saute. Then add sliced onions and saute until it turns translucent.
- Add peas and stir well, saute on low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then add the sliced carrots, sliced baby corn, chopped coriander and mint leaves, salt and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add pepper powder, garam masala and stir well.
- Add the soaked basmati rice and stir gently so that it gets mixed up well with the vegetables.
- Then pour 2 cups of water, pour lemon juice and give a stir. Check for salt and add if needed.
- Close the pan with a lid and cook until the water content reduces and the rice gets cooked well.
- Remove from flame and serve.
TIP 1: You can add some diced capsicum also it will give a different flavor to the pulao.
TIP 2: Using fresh peas (directly from pods) is highly recommended, in case if you use dry peas, you will have to soak the peas prior to preparation; these days packed peas or dried peas are colored in green and sold so use fresh ones. If using frozen peas just thaw them before use. (To thaw them, just drop the peas in a colander or strainer, dip the colander or peas in hot water for a minute and remove, then wash in cold water and use)
TIP 3: I prefer pressure cooking rice better than the pan method, coz the flavors gets well incorporated into the rice, also the rice gets cooked really soft. But in the pan method you will be able to get grainy rice, so you can follow any of the above ways.
liked all ur clicks specially basmati rice photos.. love this pulao with any non veg gravy :)ReplyDelete
Delicious and healthy pulav, very very beautiful clicks...ReplyDelete
Such a lovely and colourful pulao, very neat and delicious.ReplyDelete
yummy pulao.love the crunchy addition of corn.ReplyDelete
looks sooooo colorful n tempting pulav.......wonderful clicksReplyDelete
Divya,the pulao looks really tempting and I love the way u have cut the baby corns to look like flowersReplyDelete
My choice of one pot meal :) Pulao looks so yummy n inviting..luv all ur clicks da! Neatly presented..ReplyDelete
Baby corn pulao looks delicious very nice clicks.ReplyDelete
this look so delicious & nice clicks....I like to use baby corn in recipes coz they look like beautiful flowers once sliced....ReplyDelete
baby corn pulao looks really yummy..tempting clicksReplyDelete
nice clicks dear sis and delicious riceReplyDelete
awesome clicks and very tempting..ReplyDelete
colourful pulao !ReplyDelete
very colorful pulao divya...ReplyDelete
I love it, looks eye appealing too with other veggie additions!ReplyDelete
Very beautiful clicks sis :) each one is so good, I love baby corn aren't they so cute ???ReplyDelete
very lovely clicks and delicious looks puloa dear :)ReplyDelete
lovely post.. love the clicks.. Very nice and yummy pulavReplyDelete
Love the pics. The pulao looks yummy.ReplyDelete
Very lovely n tempting clicks and good nutritious one pot meal Divy...ReplyDelete
Tempting clicks n rice too.ReplyDelete
drooling clicks daReplyDelete
Tempting one pot meal, dear!!! Woooooow...am salivating here!!! :)ReplyDelete
lovely lovely pics ! u r a Pro !:)ReplyDelete