Coconut cookies are one among my favorites, the aroma and flavor of those cookies are just awesome, am sure many would agree with me here. I wanted to bake some easy coconut cookie and came across this recipe, it was so simple and needed very few ingredients so I immediately gave it a try. I customized some ingredients according to the availability and just loved the end product. I made two batches, in the first batch I made bigger cookies the edges were crisp and the center was bit soft yet cooked, which was tasting good. But still I wanted crunchier cookies and so I made a second batch of small sized cookies and it was very crisp in the center too. The kitchen was filled with good aroma as the cookies were getting baked. Everyone at home loved devouring it all and the cookies got over in a few minutes. The original version is gluten free but I have added some flour which made it even more crispier and firmer. These coconut cookies are easier to make and does not consume much of your time, also any beginner would get it right even the first time. Try these for your tea-time and make it more coconutty delightful!!
INGREDIENTSMakes 20 to 25 cookies
Total Preparation Time - 15 to 25 minutes
- Grated coconut - 150 grams
- Maida / All purpose flour - 50 grams (for gluten free option, skip flour and add same amount of grated coconut instead)
- Butter - 50 grams
- Eggs - 2
- Sugar - 75 grams
- Salt - A pinch
- Melt butter and set aside. (You can use butter at room temperature too)
- Instead of grating coconut, I chopped coconut into smaller pieces and ground it coarsely using a blender. You can grate, shred or even grind coarsely. (One half of a medium sized coconut will yield you 150 grams of coconut pieces)
- Now mix this grated/shredded coconut well with melted butter and set aside.
- Beat eggs until it blends well. Do not beat for long.
- Add sugar and beat again. Meanwhile preheat oven to 350° F (175° C) for ten minutes.
- Then fold in the grated coconut, salt and mix gently until the coconut gets mixed up well with the beaten eggs mixture.
- Then add maida/all purpose flour into it and fold. The batter will be sticky, but see that it is not too watery. If so add some more grated coconut.
- Line a cookie tray with butter/parchment paper and drop a tablespoon of prepared cookie mixture and flatten it gently with the back of a spoon. See that the cookie not too thick.
- Now place the tray in the center rack of the oven and bake for about 15 minutes until the biscuits turn brown and crisp. (Baking time depends on the size of your cookies) If the cookies are soft in the center and you want it crispier then bake for another 5 minutes at 100° C and remove from oven when crisp.
- Place on a wire rack until it cools down, then store in airtight containers.
TIP 1: The baking time depends on the size of the cookies. The smaller the cookies the crispier it will be.
TIP 2: You can also make it gluten free, avoid flour, and use 200 grams of coconut itself.
TIP 3: The cookies will become soft when left out so always store the cookies in air tight containers.