Paneer Bhurji is a simple yummy North Indian dish that can be prepared in just few minutes. It is very similar and as easy as scrambled egg recipe. You just need a few ingredients from your kitchen pantry to make this delectable dish. Team it up with chapati or bread and make your breakfast or dinner whole. You can even serve it as sides with rice. I personally like adding capsicum to my bhurji as it gives a nice flavor to the dish but its completely optional. Everyone has their own style of making bhurji and the best thing is we can customize the recipe according to our taste, still the dish will taste yum. Vegans can try using tofu in place of paneer, tofu will be blander than paneer so try to spice it up more to compensate the blandness by adding some extra spice powders. Now lets see how I made this comfort dish, Paneer Bhurji.
INGREDIENTSServes 2 people
Total Preparation Time - 10 to 15 minutes
- Paneer - 100 grams
- Big onion - 2 (finely chopped)
- Tomato - 1 (small; finely chopped)
- Chopped Capsicum - 2 spoons (Optional)
- Green chillies - 2 (finely chopped)
- Finely chopped Ginger - 1 teaspoon
- Garlic pods - 2 (finely chopped)
- Red chilli powder - 1/4 teaspoon (Optional)
- Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala - 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin powder - 1/4 teaspoon (Optional)
- Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon (or as per taste)
- Oil - 2 teaspoons
- Ghee - 2 teaspoons (Optional)
- Crumble paneer using your fingers. If using store bought paneer, just chop paneer into smaller cubes and drop in warm water for 2 minutes. Then remove from water and gently wash in cold water. Pat dry using a tissue paper, see that there is no excess water. Then crumble paneer using your fingers. (You can grate it too)
- Now place a pan/kadai on flame and pour oil and ghee into it. Once it heats up, add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Then add chopped garlic, chopped ginger, chopped green chillies and saute for a minute. (you can optionally grate ginger, garlic and use it). Cook on low flame.
- Now add chopped onions and saute until it turns translucent.
- Add tomatoes and saute until it gets half cooked, do not cook until mushy.
- Then add capsicum and saute for a minute.
- Add the spice powders such as; red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, cumin powder, and salt and saute for a minute or until the raw smell leaves.
- Now add the crumbled paneer and stir until it gets mixed up well with the masala. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and remove from flame once done. Do not cook for more than 2 minutes, if you cook for long, paneer will become rubbery.
- Serve hot!!
TIP 1: You can add pav bhaji masala powder or even tandoori powder instead of garam masala. Cumin powder gives a nice flavor but if in case you are adding the above mentioned masala powders then skip adding cumin powder.
TIP 2: You can add some turmeric powder to give the bhurji a nice color.
TIP 3: Use homemade paneer as far as possible, even if using store bough ones check for its freshness before use. Fresh homemade paneer tastes the best.