Masala rice is almost similar to biryani but involves lesser effort and lesser ingredients. This recipe can be easily prepared in minutes with normal cooking rice. It tastes great with a simple side dish like raita or some fry and curry. As there are already enough vegetables and enough masala a humble side-dish will always be enough and sometimes just a boiled egg and some potato chips along with this rice will make a great platter. I love adding butter-beans to masala rice, but you can add or skip according to the availability, infact there are no limits to the kind of vegetables you are going to add. You can add your favorite veggies and customize the recipe as you wish, as individual preferences and liking may differ. If you aren't a Vegan you can use ghee or butter instead of oil during preparation. This one pot recipe will perfectly fit as a lunch box recipe, as its easy to prepare and needs very less time. So lets see how to prepare this fuss free recipe.
Check out some Non-Veg curries that will best suit this recipe!!
INGREDIENTSServes 2 to 3 people
Total Preparation Time - 30 minutes
- Rice - 1 cup (nearly 150 grams)
- Big onions - 2 (sliced)
- Tomato - 1
- Green chilly - 1 (chopped)
- Butterbeans - 2 handfuls
- Carrot - 2
- French beans - 8 to 10
- Thin coconut milk - 1 cup (optional)
- Coriander leaves - Few
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 teaspoons
- Red chilli powder - 1 tablespoon
- Garam masala - 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Wash rice well and drain water. Set aside.
- Wash and chop carrots, tomato, and french beans into smaller pieces.
- Place a pressure cooker on flame. Pour oil into it and after it heats up, add chopped onions, chopped green chilly and saute until it turns translucent.
- Then add ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, salt and saute on low flame for a minute.
- Now add chopped carrots, chopped french beans, butterbeans, coriander leaves and stir well.
- Add garam masala and saute for a few minutes.
- Once the raw smell leaves, add washed rice and stir well, so that the masala gets mixed up well with the rice.
- Now pour 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of water and mix well. (Or skip coconut milk and pour two cups of water; use the same cup that you used to measure rice, for measuring water or coconut milk)
- Check for salt and add accordingly. Then pour some lemon juice and stir well.
- Close the cooker with its lid, wait until the pressure or steam oozes out of the nozzle, then place the whistle (aka regulator) and pressure cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Then remove from flame and set aside until the pressure drops. (Never open the lid when there is still pressure inside the cooker)
- Serve hot with onion raita!!
TIP 1: Instead of garam masala powder you can use whole garam masala like cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaf.
TIP 2: You can add different vegetables like peas, cauliflower and any other veggies of your choice.
TIP 3: There is no need to soak the rice prior to cooking, I have used just normal cooking rice here (ponni). You can soak rice but it does not make much difference. Soaking will make the rice fluffier.
Tasty and flavorful Masala rice is now ready!! Serve with any of your favorite curries, fry recipes, or just with a simple raita!!
Wow very flavorful and yummy rice :) love the combo and a very healthy rice variety !! I closed my eyes for side dish though ;)ReplyDelete
Yummy and tempting plate.ReplyDelete
Very flavorful rice with wonderful clicks...ReplyDelete
wow super flavorful and yummy masala rice da... Love it with butter beans... Side dish vendam main dish matum eduthukaren...;)ReplyDelete
Beautifully presented,u made me hungry dear..Loved it ,superb!!ReplyDelete
wow...so flavorful and delicious one pot meal loaded with veggies and legume, masala rice with chicken roast makes me hungry now... I am in diet now but you are tempting me da ;)ReplyDelete
Looks delicious and flavorful...ReplyDelete
I am big fan of butter beans never tried rice with it.. looks yum! must tryReplyDelete
yummy rice...we had this for dinner yesterdayReplyDelete
perfectly done rice along with chicken roast is tempting here...yumm foodReplyDelete
Stunning pics, yummy and very delightful rice.ReplyDelete
Wow so tempting.. Wish someone make this for me though :( and present like this. Ill be in heaven.ReplyDelete
yummy, flavourful rice.ReplyDelete
A healthy and flavorful one pot meal.ReplyDelete
i like butter beans.. i do not get it here.. during my vacation,i dont forgot to try it in gravies,stir fries and veg. rice.. btw the rice looks too good and colorful.. :)ReplyDelete
Spicy rice..love todo it with left over rice ...ReplyDelete
yummy and flavorful rice..Tempting dear :)ReplyDelete
Rice and chicken drumsticks, i want that plate.ReplyDelete
perfect lunch .looks so yummyReplyDelete