I have already posted another version of nethili fry which was a very long time ago, it is a batter fried recipe and tastes yummy too. You can check the recipe here. If you are looking for a different version of fry using the same anchovies, with subtle flavors, you can check oats fish fry recipe. The following is a tasty, crispy and spicy version and has a lot of flavors in it. I've included a video so that you find it more easier to follow the recipe. Also I have included a tip to make sure the masala layer doesn't come off or stick to the pan. Do check the video to learn more, it is a very short video and hence does not steal your time too.
Total Preparation Time - 20 minutes
- Nethili / Anchovies - 20 to 25 fish peces
- Corn flour / Maida - 3 tablespoons
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - 2 tablespoons
- Cumin powder - 3 teaspoons
- Fennel powder - 3 teaspoons
- Garam masala - 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves - Few
- Oil - For deep frying
- Salt - As required
- Clean and wash anchovies well in water.
- Add all the ingredients to the anchovies, except oil. Sprinkle some water and mix well.
- Sprinkle water whenever needed and see that the masala sticks well to the fish pieces. It should not drip or fall off from the pieces. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Now place a wide pan on flame and pour enough oil to fry the fish pieces.
- After it gets hot, deep fry the marinated fish pieces.
- Fry both sides until reddish and crisp.
- Sometimes the masala would come off or stick to the pan, to avoid that check the video above for the tip.