Do you have leftover rice and are you wondering what to do with it? Here is a Rice Kanji (or) Rice Porridge recipe for you! Just soak the leftover rice in water and leave it outside, no need of refrigeration too. Next morning just mix the ingredients to prepare this tasty breakfast. This is a typical South Indian recipe prepared in the villages. It is very tasty, filling and also very good for health. This recipe acts as a coolant too and makes you feel fresh all day long. It is simple to make and is a treat to your tummy!!!
It is such a traditional recipe that was prepared and consumed in earlier days when there were no means of storage systems, like the refrigerators. Ginger eases digestive problems, Gingelly oil is good for your heart and keeps your body cool, Curry leaves are rich in nutrients and rice gives enough energy for the day, if taken as a breakfast, will give you enough stamina.
INGREDIENTSServes one person
Total Preparation Time - 5 minutes (excluding overnight soaking)
- Leftover rice - 1 cup
- Curd - 1 cup
- Small onions - 5 or 6
- Ginger - 1/2 inch long piece finely chopped
- Curry leaves - Finely chopped
- Mustard - 1 spoon
- Curd chilly/Mor melaga - 4 or 5 (optional)
- Gingelly oil - 2 spoons
- Salt - As per taste
Curd chilli - Green chillies soaked in sour yogurt/curd is sun dried and used. This is a south Indian preparation which goes well with curd rice or sambar rice. It must be deep fried and served. This preparation is served as a substitute for pickles!! It is available in all super markets and Indian stores.
- Before going to bed take the leftover rice and add enough water to it, such that all the rice is immersed in water, Leave it overnight as such. Do not refrigerate!
- In the morning add curd to the soaked rice and mash well using your fingers. Do not use mixer-grinders. Do not remove water from rice.
- To this mixture add chopped onions, chopped curry leaves, chopped ginger and mix well.
- Place a pan on flame and add Gingelly oil, after the oil gets hot add mustard seeds and let it splutter, then add pieces of Curd chilly/Mor melaga and let it fry till the curd chilly/more melaga turns black in color.
- Now add this fried mixture to the rice mixture already prepared and mix well.
Try it and you will love it!!! Enjoy good health!!