Brinjal is a vegetable that blends well with any flavor. It has a very good tendency to blend well with the masala and proves to be a great side-dish and accompanying vegetable for all kinds of dishes. This Tangy and spicy masala is a spicy side-dish that can be served with Rasam rice, Sambar rice, Curd rice and also with Dosa and Idly, also it serves as a best side-dish for both Veg and Non-veg Briyanis!!!
- Brinjals - 4
- Big onion - 1
- Green chillies - 2
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 2 spoons
- Tamarind - 1/2 inch ball
- Jaggery/Vellam - small piece (Optional)
- Coriander leaves - A handful
- Curry leaves - Few
- Fennel seeds/Saunf seeds/Sombu - 1 spoon
- Pepper balls - 1/4 spoon
- Coriander powder/Dhania powder - 3 spoons
- Red chilli powder - 2 spoon
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 spoon
- Urad dal - 1/4 spoon
- Refined oil /Any edible cooking oil - 2 spoons
- Crush the Fennel seeds/Sombu/Saunf and pepper balls and keep it aside.
- Soak the tamarind in 1/4 cup of water for 10 minutes, after ten mins mash the soaked tamarind well using fingers and take the juice and keep it aside.
- Cut the brinjal lengthwise into four pieces
- In a pan add oil, splutter mustard seeds and urad dal and let it splutter.
- Now add chopped onions and fry till it turns brown.
- Then add the Brinjals pieces, salt and saute for a minute.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste.
- After that add split green chillies and curry leaves and stir well for 2 minutes.
- Then add the crushed fennel seeds and pepper balls and stir well until brinjal changes color.
- Then add all the dry powders; Chilli powder, Coriander powder and mix well.
- Now add the Tamarind extract and Jaggery(optional).
- Add coriander leaves and stir well for a minute.
- Close the pan with the lid and cook for 5 minutes on a low flame.
- Remove from flame and serve!
TIP 1: You can increase/decrease the tangy/spicy flavor by altering the amount of chilli powder and addition of tamarind juice according to your taste!!
TIP 2: You can also add pepper powder instead of adding crushed pepper balls.
It is spicy and tangy and hence entertains all the taste buds.