This Crab Gravy / Nandu Kulambu is a very traditional and authentic south Indian styled curry. It has a good flavor and tastes good with hot rice. The crab in this gravy becomes very juicy and succulent and every bite becomes a delicacy for crab lovers. This gravy is a perfect entertainer for your taste buds and will make you want more. But prepare this gravy on weekends, when you are at home to enjoy the fullness of the recipe, you will have to bite the crunchy shell to relish the soft and juicy inner flesh, which you cant do in a public places. Crabs are rich in Vitamins, Proteins, Minerals, low in saturated fatty acids and known to provide relief from cold and flu. Have a cup of pepper crab soup when you have cold to get relieved soon. So lets see the ingredients needed and preparation method.
- Crabs - 6 (If its King sized crabs use 3)
- Coconut - 10 pieces (1 inch long) or Coconut milk - From 1/2 coconut
- Dry red chillies - 15
- Big Onion - 1
- Ginger - 1 inch long piece
- Garlic pods - 1
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 spoon
- Cumin seeds - 1 spoon
- Poppy seeds - 1 spoon
- Fennel seeds / Saunf - 1/4 spoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 5 spoons
- Wash the crabs well and set aside. (I bought the crab cleaned and de-shelled).
- Crush ginger and garlic pods, chop onions and set aside
- Make a fine paste of the following;
- Coconut pieces + Dry red chillies + Cumin seeds + Poppy seeds + Ginger-Garlic paste (If you are going to use coconut milk, omit coconut pieces.)
- In a pan add oil, splutter fennel seeds.
- Add crushed ginger and garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Then add chopped onions, turmeric powder, salt and saute till it seems cooked.
- Now add the crabs and stir well for a minute.
- Add the fine paste and stir well. (Pour coconut milk now if you are going to omit coconut pieces).
- Check for salt and spiciness and alter them now. (Add more coconut milk to reduce spiciness or add red chilli powder to increase spiciness)
- Cook for 15 minutes on low flame.
- The gravy will give a good aroma of the cooked crab and oil will peep out, now remove from flame.
TIP 1: If you use coconut milk the quantity will be less but will have a different texture, when you want more quantity like cooking for a bigger family you can use coconut pieces.
TIP 2: The gravy when ready will give the cooked crab aroma, only then you shoul remove from flame.
Delicious Crab Gravy / Nandu Kulambu is ready!! Serve with Hot rice!!
Few of my other seafood recipe hits;