Coconut Burfi / Barfi, is an Indian sweet, and this delicate coconut burfi is a softy version of it. Have you tasted these delicate coconut balls/ Burfis?? if not try it out soon, you are missing a very rich and yummy sweet. These are very delicate and has very rich flavors and aroma, and is so luscious in taste. Burfis perfectly suits any special occasions or celebrations and adds a delicacy to them. It is such a delightful treat for kids and everyone. These will just melt in your mouth and make your taste buds want more. Try it out and you will win everybody's praise. There are other simple versions of preparing coconut burfis but this preparation has the richest flavor among all of them. Lets see whats needed and how to prepare it.
INGREDIENTS(Serves 15 small balls)
- Coconut - 1/2 of a medium sized coconut (or) Grated/shredded coconut - 1 cup
- Sugar - 150 grams (or) 3/4 cup
- Boiled Milk - 300 ml (or) 1/2 cup (You can also use 3 spoons condensed milk instead of milk, if so reduce the amount of sugar to 130 grams)
- Water - 1/4 cup
- All purpose flour / Maida - 30 grams (or) 3 spoons
- Cardamom pods - 3 (Crushed)
- Saffron strands - A pinch
- Cashews - 5 (Optional)
- Almonds - 5 (Optional)
- Ghee - 3 spoons
- Grate coconut and set aside. Please use fresh coconuts for best flavors.
- Take milk in a sauce pan, and place on low flame until it reduces to 1/4th of its original volume. Remove from flame then and set aside.
- Heat a pan/wok and add a spoon of ghee and after it melts add the all purpose flour/maida and stir well for 2 minutes, after you get a nice aroma remove from flame and set aside. Color should not change.
- Chop the nuts, heat the pan/wok and dry roast them just for a few seconds and set aside.
- Take a pan add sugar and 1/4 cup of water and place on flame. Stir well until the sugar dissolves in water and becomes little sticky. (It should not be too sticky, string consistencies are not required.) Strain to remove dirt.
- Now heat a pan/wok and add this sugar syrup and grated coconut to it, stir well.
- After 3 minutes add the crushed cardamom pods and stir well.
- The add milk, ghee, saffron strands, chopped and roasted nuts, roasted maida/all purpose flour and stir well for few minutes on low flame.
- Then remove from flame and set aside until it reaches room temperature.
- Rub your palms with water/ghee and make small lemon sized balls out of it and serve!!
TIP 1: Instead of milk you can add condensed milk also but reduce the amount of sugar. Because condensed milk will have sugar in it. You can also add sweet-less kovas if you wish instead of milk.
TIP 2: If you want to store them refrigerate them and then use them.
Yummy and Rich Delicate Coconut Balls / Soft Coconut Burfis are now ready!! Serve as a snack on special occasions or whenever you wish!! Praises are waiting for sure!!