Want a spicy side-dish to accompany your meal, then this is the perfect one for you. This spicy potato stir-fry is a very good side-dish that makes a great accompaniment for either rice varieties or Indian bread varieties, its so simple to make yet tastes great. Potatoes taste delicious in any form, you can make super-duper hit recipes like stir-fry, sides, starters, curries with it. I call it the best substitute for Meat, as it tastes good and always gives a hand when you have not much time and energy just a simple preparation will make the meal so great and filling. Here in this recipe I have used very common ingredients that will be available in any kitchen pantry. Lets see whats needed and how to prepare it.
INGREDIENTSMakes sides for 3 people
Total Preparation Time - 25 to 30 minutes
- Potatoes - 3 (Mine weighed 330 grams totally)
- Big onions - 1 (75 grams)
- Curry leaves - Few
- Red chilli powder - 1 spoon (8 grams)
- Coriander powder - 1/2 spoon (4 grams)
- Pepper powder - 1/4 spoon (2 grams)
- Salt - 1/2 spoon (4 grams)
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 spoon (2 grams)
- Skinned whole black gram / Urad dal / Ulutham paruppu - 1/4 spoon (2 grams)
- Oil - 10 spoons
- Take the potatoes wash well and peel off the skin using a peeler and remove the spots and eyes also.
- Then chop it into smaller pieces and set aside.
- Peel and chop onions and set aside.
- Heat a pan and add oil, after it heats up add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add skinned black gram and saute for few seconds, then add curry leaves and saute. Don't burn it. Keep your flame on low mode while sauteing.
- Then add onions and saute well for 3 to 4 minutes or until the raw smell leaves. Now add red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and stir well. Cook on low flame.
- Then add the chopped potatoes and stir well. It will take some time for the potatoes to get cooked well so keep stirring frequently.
- When it is almost half cooked add pepper powder and stir well.
- After about 20 minutes the potatoes will get cooked well.
- Take a piece of the potato and check if it has got cooked well. Now remove from flame and serve.
TIP 1: Stirring is very much essential to make the stir-fry taste good and also helps prevent the potato pieces from sticking to the bottom and getting burnt.
TIP 2: Always keep flame on low mode to get the vegetables cooked evenly inside and outside.
TIP 3: I have prepared the stir-fry little spicy you can alter the spiciness according to your wish.
Spicy and delicious Urulaikilangu poriyal is now ready!! Serve with Indian bread varieties like Chapati, Poori or with Sambar rice, dal rice or rasam rice!!
For best peeler ideas click here!!