Mushrooms are rich in Vitamins B1, B2 and B3, Proteins, Calcium, Phosphorous, Potassium Sodium, Zinc and Carbohydrates, low in fat content. Mushroom recipes are not India's authentic or traditional preparations. But in recent years mushrooms have been included in Indian preparations, and has become a very common vegetable in almost every Indian pantry. They are prepared with the same authentic Indian flavor using various spices. It gets cooked in minutes, hence a comfort food and are also yummy to taste!!! This particular gravy is spicy and delicious. It can be accompanied with any main dishes like, Rice, Parotas, Roti varieties etc. Now lets see the preparation method.
- Button Mushrooms - 8
- Big Onions - 1
- Tomatoes - 2
- Green Chillies - 2
- Coriander leaves
- Coconut - 2 inch long piece
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 spoon
- Red chilli powder - 1 spoon
- Pepper powder - 1 spoon
- Coriander powder/Dhania powder - 2 spoons
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Cumin powder/Jeera powder - 1 spoon
- Garam masala - 1 tsp (optional)
- Saunf seeds/Fennel seeds/Sombu - 1/2 spoon
- Cloves - 2
- Cinnamon stick - 1/2 inch long stick
- Curry leaves
- Wash the mushrooms well in water and chop it length-wise and keep aside.
- Make a fine paste (1) of the following and keep aside;
- Chopped big onions + Tomatoes + Green chillies
- Make another fine paste (2) of the following and keep aside;
- Coconut pieces + Ginger-Garlic paste + Red chilli powder + Pepper powder + Coriander powder/Dhania powder + Turmeric powder + Cumin powder/Jeera powder + Garam masala
- In a pan add oil, after it heats up add saunf seeds/fennel seeds/sombu and let it splutter.
- Then add cinnamon stick, cloves, curry leaves and mix well.
- Now add fine paste (1) and mix well add extra chilli powder if necessary, add salt and cook well.
- After it gets cooked add fine paste (2) and add water and let it boil.
- Now add the mushrooms, chopped coriander leaves and close the pan with a lid.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the raw smell goes away.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
TIP 1: Use fresh button mushrooms. Wash the mushrooms well to remove dirt and then chop it.
TIP 2: To increase the gravy consistency you can add more coconut to it. In case you are using grated coconut then use a handful of them for making paste.
TIP 3: The spiciness is more so be careful while adding extra chilli powder!!!
TIP 4: To make it more yummy you can add butter while garnishing and then serve!
TIP 5: Instead of garam masala you can add a piece of cinnamon, 1 cardamom pod, 1 clove while making the fine paste (2).
Mushroom gravy with the authentic Indian flavor and aroma is ready!! It is so hot and spicy and goes well with any dish.