Tired of the same old rice flour dosa, bread toasts and roti? Try this soft and easy to make tasty wheat dosa. It has a unique taste and the good news is that even diabetic patients and obese people can have this tasty dosa. It has the ability to fight against heart failure, diabetes, chronic inflammation and more, it is rich in Vitamins B, E, K and also iron content. The dip/chutney like red chilli chutney, coconut chutney, tomato chutney, fish gravy goes well with this dosa. It is one of my husband's favorites. Let see how to make this dosa.
- Wheat flour - 2 cups
- Water - 2 cups approximately
- Big onions - 1
- Green chillies - 1
- Curry leaves - Few
- In a bowl add the wheat flour and 2 cups of water. Adjust the consistency according to the thickness you need. (but make sure its not too watery, you wont get perfect dosas)
- In the prepared batter, add chopped onions, chopped green chillies, chopped curry leaves and salt. Mix well. (lazy to chop onions, etc? see tip 5)
- Leave the batter aside for a few minutes. The batter should not be watery nor too thick.
- In a pan/dosa pan/tawa add a spoon of oil and spread well using a cloth, after the tawa/pan heats up pour a scoop full of batter and spread in a circular motion very carefully. Drizzle oil on its sides.
- Flip/Turn the dosa using a flat spatula and drizzle 1/2 spoon of oil again.
- Cook on medium flame until there are brown spots on the dosa.
- Remove from tawa/pan and serve with chutney or fish gravy.
TIP 1: While making dosa pour oil on the sides to get crispy edges on the dosa. It will make the dosa taste great. Pour only half a spoon of oil around the dosa.
TIP 2: The batter will not help to make perfect round shapes so while spreading be careful, circle shapes are not a must so just spread until the batter is able to spread.
TIP 3: You can also add coconut pieces and coriander leaves to the batter and then prepare dosa. It will enhance flavor and aroma.
TIP 4: Always cook dosa in medium flame or else it will get burnt, which will not taste good.
TIP 5: Too lazy to chop onions and green chillies??? then you can make plain dosa also!!
TIP 6: You can also have this dosa with sugar, it will taste yummy!! Kids will love it too, so no fuss during dinner time!! But with sugar it is a no no for diabetics
TIP 5: Dosa will be thick, unlike the rice flour dosa, so nothing to worry if you don't get it too thin.
The perfect combo is wheat dosa and fish gravy. It really tastes good. Try it for dinner when you make fish gravy!!