Drumstick masala is a famous food recipe of Tamil Nadu, in India. It is so tasty and spicy and can be accompanied as a side-dish with Sambar rice, Rasam rice and Curd rice. Drumstick is rich in Calcium, Vitamin C and other nutrients. The leaves have been known to be good for lactating mothers. This particular drumstick masala/murungakkai masala is a tasty recipe that my Mom makes very often. It is a very simple side-dish and easy to cook recipe, yet very juicy and delicious.
INGREDIENTS(Serves 4 people)
- Drumstick - 2
- Pearl Onions - 2 (or) Big onions - 1/2
- Grated coconut - 5 spoons (or) Coconut pieces - 3 (or) 4 (1 inch long)
- Dry Red chillies - 3-4 (or) Red chilli powder - 1 spoon (if you want it more spicy add extra red chillies or powder)
- Turmeric powder - A pinch
- Cumin seeds - 2 spoons
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 spoon
- Oil - 2 spoons
- Wash drumsticks well and chop them lengthwise, 3 inches long. Remove the strings as you chop them.
- Make a masala paste of the following ingredients;
- Grated coconut + Red chillies/Red chilli powder + Cumin seeds
- In a fry pan add oil, after it heats up splutter mustard seeds.
- Now add chopped onions and saute for a minute.
- Then add the prepared masala paste, turmeric powder and salt, stir well.
- Add a cup of water and mix well.
- After the water starts boiling add the chopped drumstick, stir well and close the pan with a lid.
- Cook on a low flame for 10 minutes, by stirring occasionally.
- Cook until the water content reduces and the masala gets a thick consistency.
- Remove from flame and Serve!!
TIP 1: You can also add coconut milk and prepare the masala. Add a cup of coconut milk at last and cook for another 3 minutes on medium flame. You will get a semi gravy masala.
TIP 2: Increase the addition of coconut if you want more masala.
TIP 3: Increase or decrease the spiciness by altering the addition of red chilli powder.
Tasty Drumstick Masala/Murungakkai Masala is now ready!!! Enjoy with sambar rice, rasam rice, curd rice, etc!!