Making a quick tasty dish that's healthy is a blessing right? Here's one such recipe using the very healthy ingredient millet. I randomly picked up a packet of organic millet sevai while grocery shopping just to give it a try sometime, but then was reluctant to cook thinking of how it will taste. But after making this simple sevai I was so in love and I'm determined to make many more dishes with it. Believe me it tastes so good and moreover its healthy too. Following is a basic recipe which can be tweaked according to taste and preferences. I've heard people flaunting about how millets are so good for health, is gluten free and I have even come across many articles about it recently. Do pick up a packet when you find one and give it a try, these are now available in every supermarkets and stores.
INGREDIENTSServes one person
Total Preparation Time - 15 minutes
- Millet sevai - 50 grams (about 1 cup; I used corn sevai you can use any millet sevai)
- Sugar - As needed
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut - 1 tablespoon or as needed
- Soak the sevai in water for 5 minutes. It will soften up.
- Now drain water and sprinkle some salt and give a gentle mix. You can avoid adding salt and use as it is.
- Steam in idli pans for 5 mins. (Here's how I steam them in idli pans. Pour some water into the idli pot and cover the pot, place on flame and wait for two to three minutes or until you find the water boiling, then place the trays filled with the soaked sevai and cover the pot. Steam for the aforementioned time or until done)
- Then remove the sevai from the plates and gently fluff it up using a fork.
- Take a serving plate add some sevai, then sprinkle grated coconut and sugar and serve.
- Or optionally you can temper it as follows and then serve with sugar or chutney. For tempering, place a kadai on flame add a teaspoon of oil, after it heats up crackle 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, then add 1/2 tsp skinned whole black gram saute until it turns slightly brown then add 1/2 tsp chopped green chillies, 1/2 tsp onion and saute well until onions get cooked. Now add the steamed sevai and give a good stir. Remove from flame and serve hot.
TIP 1: This is the basic recipe you can make any kind of recipe add your twist to the steamed sevai. Use veggies or simply temper it make the way you like it.
TIP 2: The are many types of millet sevai in market these days. I have used corn millet here, there are other types like thinai sevai, bajra sevai etc. You can fetch any of them and do similarly.