I love starters better than a wholesome meal! If you are of a similar kind then you will love the following recipe too :) Prawn lollipops have a crispy outer with a soft, juicy and tasty inside. Its not tough to prepare, but a tat bit of patience will be needed as an extra ingredient when trying the recipe. Tastes great and you will love every bit of it. I can assure you that your kids will gobble it up in seconds. You can serve it with ketchup or mayonnaise!
INGREDIENTSMakes 5 to 6 pops
Total Preparation Time - 20 minutes
- Prawns - 150 grams
- Egg - 1
- Grated cheddar cheese / Mozarella cheese - 2 teaspoon (or normally available cheese cubes)
- Maida / All purpose flour - 1 cup
- Breadcrumbs - 1 cup
- Garlic - one piece
- Soy sauce - 1 tsp
- Red chilli sauce - 1 tsp
- Tomato sauce - 1 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1 tsp (optional) or Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil - To deep fry
- Small wooden skewers - Few
- Shell and devein prawns and wash well in water.
- Beat egg and keep aside.
- To a blender add prawns along with, soy sauce, red chilli sauce, tomato sauce, grated cheese, 2 tablespoons of beaten egg, peeled garlic, pepper powder, salt and blend well until it turns into a smooth paste. Do not add water, use the pulse type grinding to blend he meat even and smooth.
- Now take a short wooden stick and take a portion of the meat and roll it around the stick, use your palm and keep rolling until the meat gets the proper shape.
- Spread flour in a wide plate, take beaten egg in a bowl and also take breadcrumbs in a cup. Keep them near one another.
- Now take a pop, roll in flour, then dip in beaten egg carefully, then roll it in breadcrumbs press gently to stick the crumbs well and keep aside.
- Do the same with the rest of the pieces and set aside for a few minutes. (I could not click this part as I was cooking and clicking single handed)
- Meanwhile place a frying pan on flame and pour enough oil to deep fry the lollipops. After it heats up (not smoky hot) gently drop the prepared lollipops into the hot oil. Do not hold the stick before cooking as it will come out. (Handle carefully until cooking, but after cooking the sticks will stay intact and you will not have a problem when you hold the pop with the stick)
- Fry on medium flame and make sure the insides gets cooked too, so give ample time and once it turns golden brown and crisp, remove from flame and place over a tissue to absorb excess oil.
- Serve hot with sauce or mayonnaise.
TIP 1: You can use toothpicks also but see that the meat part is not very huge as toothpicks won't hold it well.
TIP 2: Like I said, do not fidget too much with the sticks before frying as they will come off easily from the pops, but after frying the sticks will stay intact.
TIP 3: Do not heat the oil too much, because when you drop the prawn pops, the outer part will get cooked soon and the inner part will stay raw. So make sure the oil is medium hot and fry the pops n a medium flame to ensure that the inner part also gets cooked well.