Here's what I made to post on Independence day, a tricolor agar agar pudding or jelly that is super easy to prepare and needs very little time too. I was caught up with some work this week that I could not edit the post and publish on time but still wanted to share it here. So here we go a tri color dessert to treat you virtually. The three colors have three different flavors and together they make a treat to your taste buds, visually it is very appealing too. The top orange layer is orange flavored agar agar pudding or jelly, the middle one is unflavored plain milk pudding while the bottom green layer is cardamom flavored. You can make the same or add different flavors colors and colors depending on the occasion. If you are a coffee lover you should not miss my coffee agar jelly recipe.
INGREDIENTSTotal Preparation Time - 30 to 45 minutes
- Milk - 400 ml
- Agar agar strips - 5 grams
- Food colors Orange & Green - As required
- Sugar - 1/2 cup (90 to 100 grams)
- Pistachio essence (or) Cardamom essence - 1/2 teaspoon (You can also use a pinch of cardamom powder)
- Orange essence - 1/2 teaspoon
- Vanilla essence - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cut agar agar into smaller strips and wash in water, Squeeze well and set aside. Click here for picture reference.
- Boil Milk: Now place a saucepan on flame and pour milk into it let it boil, add sugar and wait until it dissolves, then remove from flame.
- Dissolve agar agar strips: Place another pot or saucepan on flame and pour about 150 ml of water and add the agar agar strips into it. Switch flame to high mode and let it boil well, wait until the strips dissolve. Wait patiently, it will dissolve after about 10 to 15 minutes of time.
- Now pour this mixture into hot milk and stir well.
- Then separate milk into three portions and add pistachio essence (or cardamom essence) and green food color into one portion. Then add orange essence, vanilla essence and orange food color into another portion. (Adding vanilla essence along with orange essence makes it taste much better)
- Leave one portion plain, do not add any colors, you can add any colorless essence or extracts if you prefer some flavor. But make sure it stays white!
- Now pour the green colored agar agar milk mix into the serving bowl preferably a glass bowl (or any pan or moulds of your choice). Refrigerate or let it set in room temperature, but refrigeration will help quicken the process. Use a ladle to pour the mixture and be very gentle while pouring, see that there are no air bubbles while you pour.
- Once it gets set, pour the white milk mix over the green jelly using a ladle. (Before pouring touch the jelly gently to see if it has solidified enough. If in case the white jelly has set just reheat a little then it will liquefy, wait until it turns slightly warm to touch, then pour it atop the green jelly)
- Wait until the white gets set. Then pour the orange flavored jelly atop the white jelly. Try pouring equal levels to make sure it looks good. Refrigerate or set aside until it sets well.
- Then serve or refrigerate and serve later! Stays well for five days while refrigerated haven't tried storing more than that.
TIP 1: I made it as an Independence day special dessert and it is not necessary for you to follow the same colors and flavors. You can follow the same and make different colored or flavored pudding of your choice to suit the occasion.
TIP 2: Agar agar jelly sets faster than gelatin jellies and unlike gelatin it sets well in room temperature. But still being patient is a key to getting the perfect agar agar dessert. Wait until each layer of jelly sets well then pour the next layer. If it solidifies before you pour it into the serving dish then just heat it a little it will melt. Then wait until it turns warm and then use it. Do not pour it over the already solidified jelly when it is still hot as it may melt it.
TIP 3: If using smaller moulds jellies will set quickly.