Spicy Brinjal Fry | Spicy Eggplant Fry | Kathrikai Masala | Easy Brinjal Masala | Easy Side Dish | South Indian Brinjal Stir Fry
Spicy Brinjal Fry is an easy, completely vegan and spicy side dish, that pairs veryyyy well with curd rice. It is such an easy dish that requires only 3 ingredients and very little effort, you can also serve it with rasam, dal and sambar sadham. Brinjal can be used in making such quick dishes and also blends well with any masala or spices added to it thus tastes great when perfectly cooked, just optionally customise the spice level according to your tolerance. This recipe has been a savior many a times while packing the lunch box after waking up late in the mornings. Do try this quick and easy to make side-dish and enjoy with a bowl of comforting curd rice.
Serves 2 people as sides
Total Preparation Time - 20 minutes
- Brinjals / Eggplant - 4 or 5
- Red chilli powder - 1 tablespoon ( I use 1.5)
- Salt - As required
- Oil - 4 tablespoons
- Wash and slice the brinjal/eggplant lengthwise.
- Place a frying pan or kadai on flame and add oil, after it heats up add the sliced brinjal and toss it for few seconds. (Using oil generously gives you a better texture and makes it easy to fry the brinjals)
- Add red chilli powder and salt. Saute well.
- Sprinkle a spoon of water if needed (if there is enough oil you don't have to add water), stir well and close the pan with a lid.
- Open occasionally and stir so that the brinjal doesn't get burnt.
- Cook on low flame for 5 to 7 minutes or until the brinjal seems cooked well. Once the brinjals seems soft and smells good remove from flame.
TIP 1: The smaller the brinjal more tastier the dish will be.
TIP 2: Add oil generously so that the recipe does not get stuck to the pan and get burnt. Always cook on low flame.
TIP 3: You can finally add 1/2 cup of coconut milk to make it more tastier and get a curry like consistency.
The simplest, yet hot, spicy and delicious brinjal fry is now ready!! Have it with curd rice or sambar rice or rasam rice.